WSET Level 2 Course £350
The WSET courses provide nationally-recognised qualifications for Wine Industry professionals and enthusiastic amateurs. The courses are all examined and certificated within a QCA-approved National Qualifications Framework.
NB. The Level 2 Award Course (formerly known as the Intermediate Course) is an entry level wine course - you do not need to have done any other wine courses to attend this and gain the Level 2 Certificate!
You can view the full specification by clicking here
The WSET Level 2 Award Course is intended as vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry who have little previous knowledge of the broad range of alcoholic beverages available. The qualification is suitable wherever a good level of product knowledge is required to underpin job skills and competencies.
The course is also appropriate for those not employed in the drinks industry but who have a serious interest in wine, and wish to broaden their knowledge in a structured way. This qualification has full accreditation from the UK Government’s Qualifications & Curriculum Authority as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification. This qualification provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress to Level 3.
This exciting and structured course is the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 2 Award (formerly known as the Intermediate Certificate).
You do not have to first complete Level 1 - you can jump in straight at this level (Level 2) if you like.
The course is designed as vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry, but is also increasingly popular amongst people who want to study out of personal interest alone. If you have a serious interest in wine and wish to broaden your knowledge in a structured way this course offers you an internationally recognised qualification. WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification.
Please Note: please book in advance so you have plenty of time to look through the study materials ahead of the start of the course. You can of course book closer to the start date, but you should then be prepared to use the time between the first two sessions to read and digest the study guide and course specification.
- Wine Tasting :Taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching : A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage : Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wines
- Labelling : Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Factors influencing the Style of Wine : Study the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine in the vineyard and winery
- Grape Varieties : Learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international and regionally important grape varieties
- Key White grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
- Other white varieties: Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Muscadet, Pinot Gris/Grigio, Semillon, Torrontés, Trebbiano and Verdicchio
- Key Black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Other red varieties: Barbera, Carmenère, Gamay, Malbec, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Pinotage, Primitivo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo and Zinfandel
- Key Wine-Producing regions of the World: Learn about the main styles of wines from the key wine-producing regions. France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, USA, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa
- Number of Wines Tasted: 28-35 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials : Students will receive a complete WSET Level 2 course study pack, comprising the course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world 'Behind the Label'), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions, and forms for your own tasting notes), course specification book and laminated 'Systematic Approach To Tasting' card
- Course Specification: Although we will send you a copy of the course specification as part of your study materials, we recommend you review it before registering for the course: Click Here to view specification.
- Duration of course : 16 hours (3 full days) plus 1 hour examination
- Recommended Private Study : 12 hours additional private study is recommended for this course. It is strongly recommended that the majority of the private study is done in preparation for the course.
- Examination : 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 1 hour. A mark of 55% required to pass
Certification : All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin
The exam will take place at the end of the final session and lasts for one hour.
In addition to the 16 hours of teaching time, students are expected to complete around 12 hours of private study in their own time
A copy of the course specification can be viewed here if you wish to review it before booking
What's included in the Course Fee?
All WSET course materials including; Looking Behind the Label course manual, Study Guide and Tasting Card
All tasting wines (approx 28-35 wines)
All course handouts
All course tuition
Official Certificate and pin for all those who pass
Study materials : your full study pack will be posted to you 1-2 weeks before the start of the course. You will also need six ISO tasting glasses which we can supply, at cost, to you if required.
Special Educational Needs: please make the school aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
Course tutor: Neil Bull DIP Wset. Wset - Approved Programme Provider
If you'd like any more information, then please give Neil a call on 01371 267260 / 07743 897562 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
This allows you to spread the cost of the WSET Level 2 course over two payments. The first payment is for £200 The second is for £150. We must have received full payment
Places remaining: 900
This allows you to spread the cost of the WSET Level 2 course over two payments. This second payment is for £150. We must have received full payment at least three weeks
Places remaining: 900
3 Saturdays from 9.30am until 5pm. Saturday 29th September, 13th october and 27th October This exciting and structured course is the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 2 certificate and
Places remaining: 6
Date/Time: 29th Sep 2018 at 9.30 am -5pm
Venue: The Chelmsford Club, Staplegrove, 108 New London Road, CM2 0RG