8 Week World of Wine Tour (Chelmsford)
Our 8-week World of Wine course is an informal and practical introduction to the world of wine for people who enjoy wine and would like to learn a little more about it and runs for 8 consecutive weekday evenings. No previous experience is necessary and the emphasis is upon learning by tasting different varieties of wine.
It's also an opportunity to meet new people who share your love of wine.
What will you get from this course?
- You will taste over 50 wines from 5 continents, 15 regions and 15 different grape varieties
- You will gain a good understanding of the worlds' major wine regions and the wine styles they produce
- You will be able to spit, swirl and sniff like a professional, be able to assess a wine and identify faults
- You will have a basic understanding of how wine is made, the importance of soils & climate and the influence of the winemaker on wine styles
- The confidence to try lots of new food and wine matches at home
- You will feel much more comfortable choosing wine and know where to go to find good value wines
- A whole new wine vocabulary, plus some new friends!
The total course cost is £185. This represents excellent value for money, a discount of 15% vs if you were to book the course as individual tastings, the equivalent of 1 evening free!
To help spread the cost of the course there is a £105 fee payable on booking to secure your seat plus an additional £10 to be paid in cash each evening.
Our 8-week course makes a great gift and can be purchased as a gift voucher for £185 (no further fees payable) or as a gift voucher for £105 – but remember the recipient will be required to pay £10 a night in cash on each evening.
What if I can’t make one of the evenings?
Not a problem. You can either send a substitute, pick up the session on the next course or request a credit voucher.
Course Programme and Dates:
Tastings run on 8 consecutive Thursday evenings. They start at 7pm and last for approximately 2 hours, ending at 9pm
- 7th February: You’ll learn how to taste, swirl and spit like a professional. This introductory session includes what wine is and how it is made, how to taste wine, some fun aroma tests and will also get to grips with how to decipher wine labels
- 14th February: Tour de France Stage 1 - we explore two of the world's greatest wine regions, Bordeaux and Burgundy and then we will explore the concept of 'terroir' through some carefully selected examples from the world's finest wine regions
- 21st February: Tour de France Stage 11 - we tour down the Loire and Rhone Valleys then pop over to Alsace and consider the role of climate and weather in shaping a wine style
- 28th February: Spain & Italy - we uncork some of the European classics as well as exploring some of the up and coming regions and explore food and wine matching
- 7th March: Amazing Australia - we will explore the different regions and 'boutique' style wines and spend some time understanding how the winemaker influences wine styles using oak. We'll also taste a delicious sweet wine and explain how they are made.
- 14th March: New Zealand; the cleaner, greener wine nation. We'll explore New Zealand wines from the tip of the North Island to the world's most southerly wine region, Central Otago, on the South Island. Plus, we'll spend some time talking screw cap vs cork and explain how to identify common wine faults
- 21st March: A Taste of America - learn how hot, almost desert-like conditions produce some of the world's most delicious wines as we explore California then head down south to Chile and finally hop over the Andes into Argentina for a mini Malbec masterclass. At this tasting we will also consider how to serve and store wine
- 28th March: Our course finalé: we'll explain why South African wine is just coming of age and enjoy a fine South African Sparkling wine which we compare with a Champagne and explain how different types of sparkling wine are made
Professional ISO tasting glasses, tasting sheets, course support materials, water biscuits and table water are provided at every session.This 8-week World of Wine Course makes a fantastic gift for anybody who enjoys wine but would line to learn a little more.
Places remaining: 14
Course Date/Time: Thu 7th Feb 2019 at 7pm - 9pm
Duration: 2 hours for 8 weeks
Venue: The two Brewers, 80-84 Springfield Rd, Chelmsford CM2 6JY