WSET Level 2 Award Course - Chelmsford
WSET Level Award in Wines (Saturdays)
This exciting and structured course over 3 Saturdays is the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 2 Award (formerly known as the Intermediate Certificate).
You do not have to first complete Level 1 - you can jump in straight at this level (Level 2) if you like.
Dates: 3 Saturdays (9.30am-5pm) - Saturday 25th January, Saturday 8th February and Saturday 22nd February. The 1-hour multiple choice exam is at the end of the final day.
The course was designed as vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry, but is increasingly popular amongst people who want to study out of personal interest alone. If you have a serious interest in wine and wish to broaden your knowledge in a structured way this course offers you an internationally recognised qualification. WSET Level 2 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification.
- Wine Tasting :Taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching : A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage : Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wines
- Labelling : Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Factors influencing the Style of Wine : Study the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine in the vineyard and winery
- Grape Varieties : Learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international and regionally important grape varieties
- Key White grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
- Other white varieties: Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Muscadet, Pinot Gris/Grigio, Semillon, Torrontés, Trebbiano and Verdicchio
- Key Black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Other red varieties: Barbera, Carmenère, Gamay, Malbec, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Pinotage, Primitivo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo and Zinfandel
- Key Wine-Producing regions of the World: Learn about the main styles of wines from the key wine-producing regions. France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, USA, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa
- Number of Wines Tasted: 30+ wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials : Students will receive a complete WSET Level 2 course study pack, comprising the course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world 'Behind the Label'), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions and forms for your own tasting notes), course specification and laminated 'Systematic Approach To Tasting' card
- Duration of course : 3 Mondays 9.30-5pm including the 1-hour exam
- Recommended Private Study : 12 hours additional private study is recommended for this course.
- Examination : 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 1 hour. A mark of 55% required to pass
- Certification : All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin
In addition to classroom teaching, students are expected to complete around 12 hours of private study in their own time.
Fee: £385 (this saves £90 against the £475 price set by WSET in London).
For the full specification of this course please clcik HERE
What's included in the Course fee?
- All WSET course materials including; Looking Behind the Label course manual, Study Guide, specification and SAT Tasting Card
- Over 40 delicious wines including Champagne & Ports
- We teach you the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine ®
- This will enable you to analyse wines objectively and consistently
- Professional ISO tasting glasses
- All course handouts and tuition
- Examination fees, official certificate and pin for all those who pass
Special Educational Needs: please make the School aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
Course educator: Neil Bull DipWset and/or Tim Haslam DipWset
Places remaining: 8
Course Date/Time: Sat 25th Jan 2020 at 9.30 am -4.30pm
Duration: 3 weeks
Venue: The Chelmsford Club, 108, New London Road, Chelmsford, CM2 0RG